The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gresham he-man volleyball team rides victory over Barlow

A rivalry he-man volleyball game against the Bruins, brought two group of guys together not only for fun and games but to raise money for the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.

The game was also started and led all by students. Quinn Santangelo, Gresham’s ASB president and senior and Barlow’s ASB President, senior James Ranstead had coordinated the whole thing.

“We came up with the event because other schools do it, and it would be a fun thing to do against our rivals and to raise money for a good cause,” Santangelo said.

Both schools came to support their school and pack the gym. The event cost $2 and all proceeds went toward the fundraiser.

“I expect good crowd participation. I expect it to be a fun event and the boys to get into it and be competitive and I expect it to be an all around good night,” Santangelo said.

They played three games in the match and they followed traditional volleyball rules.

Aside from the rules, the Super Fans that came to support their school were all revved up.

“I want to support all my friends and save the children. I think this event will be a blast,” Barlow superfan senior Mitchell Johnson said before the event. “Barlow will win, and I’m expecting amazing crowds.”

Gresham Super Fans were feeling the same way.

“I’m here to support my school. I also love helping out sick kids at Doernbecher, and Gresham’s going to win.” sophomore Super Fan Meaghan Allison said. “I think this event is really cool, and I’m expecting huge crowds.”

Barlow came into the gym wearing pink uniforms with spandex. Their team was led by volleyball players, seniors Kassy Tuma, Cassidy Winters and Brynna Dougharity.

The Gresham team had on matching black shirts with all their names printed on them and were coached by volleyball seniors Haley Crouser, Abby Bryant, Anna Huber and junior Alex Frazier.

For the first set, Gresham won 25-11. Gresham surplused the lead when beach volleyball player, senior David Vorobitz had served 16 serves in a row. In the second set Barlow came back and won 25-18.

The third set, only going to 15 points, was the most exciting as the schools went back and forth in points every possession. The big momentum shift for Gresham though was when 5-foot-6, junior Gre-gonta Brown won a block against senior Barlow player Duncan Otis, who is 6-foot-4. Gresham won the third set,  making them the champions.

“The event went a lot better than I expected. If I was going to be here next year, I would certainly do it again and hype it up a bit more,” Ranstead said.

Santangelo and Ranstead were MC-ing together during the game, as it added humor to the crowd noise and chants.

“I think it’s an easy event to get behind for both schools because it’s for Doernbecher and we have a great rivalry already and both schools love volleyball. It’s a no-brainer to put this event on,” Gresham activities director Ty Gonrowski said.

The he-man volleyball game was the first time Gresham has done it in four years and only the second time the school has ever done it. The event turned out great and will now be something to look out for next year.