The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gresham High Past Time

IMG_5346Baseball is just around the corner and the baseball team is already smelling victory. The great Gresham baseball players are getting ready to come home.

Baseball coach Ryan Miller is all ready to start the season.

“Yes, I’m excited for the season to finally get started. We’ve been having conditioning workouts since November so it’s nice to finally start baseball activities,” Miller said.

Last years season the team did the best they could but they did not have enough potential as this years team does.

“Overall I think this years team has the potential to be better than last years team, but we have a lot of work to do. We have to replace some key players from last year and we will need some young guys to step in and fill those roles,” Miller said.

The players have been practicing for the past couple of months to be the best when the season starts. The pitchers and the catcher’s started working out strengthening their arms and  a lot of the players have been working on their hitting on their own.

“We started conditioning in November, lifting weights, running, jumping rope,” Miller said.  

This year the baseball team has better players, they have been playing professionally for a few years and they know exactly how to be good.  There will be new players that will kick it up a notch and also some that will be returning from last year. They have been working hard to be better and  the harder they work the better they do.

“It’s a group that has a lot of experience playing at a high school level,” Miller said. “We have kids who went to the Little League World Series as 12 year olds. They expect to compete at a high level and they are capable of doing so. The physical tools are there and we will continue to develop, we just need to make sure we keep continue working hard to get better every day.”

They do a lot of hard work in every single practice or game. But no one is talking about  any other baseball team, only about the team. The  players have been working with the same training skills for the past couple of years but only the older ones  have a better idea of what the staff expect from them. It is not necessary to teach a whole lot of new ideas and concepts. Coach Miller has mostly been focusing on getting the guys to a better position this season.

“We make it a point to put our guys in every situation in practice that they might face in a game, it’s not uncomfortable. We also really focus on fundamentals and focus on the small details,” Miller said.