The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

State Performance for Winter Sports

Three winter sports went to state this year, which include swimming, wrestling and girls basketball.

Swimming and wrestling had two people representing the school at state. State was on the weekend of February 27-28.

Coach Shaun Taylor thought this swim season went excellent, they won races and went to district. Junior Bryn Lasher and senior Caleb Logsdon were the two people representing our school at state this year for swimming. One thing Taylor wants to do differently for this upcoming season is to recruit 10-20 more dedicated swimmers.

“We had two major qualifications this year at district and it was hard to recover from it because they were two of our best swimmers,” Taylor said.

Assistant coach Ty Gonrowski says he thought that the girls basketball season went pretty well, and that he enjoyed coaching fun and nice kids. Depending on how they do on “play ins”it will decide if they go to playoffs.

“I think that the season went pretty well. Like other teams we had our ups and downs. We also won games, but there were games that we felt we could’ve done better,” Gonrowski said.

The two people that went to state for wrestling were seniors Isaac Coc Cucul and Yecithy Restrepo. At the duo matches, wrestling did not do very well, but at district, they got two people to qualify for state and they beat the leading team by 44 ½ points. Coach Zachari Enoch thought that those seniors impacted their team a lot and were close to their team because a lot more teammates came to state to support them than past years.

“Both of them it was the very first time they had been there and so eyes were a little bit wider. They both fought with everything they had in them and represented Gresham and wrestling well,” Enoch said.

ghs vs Barlow 135
Junior Maddy Lindhorst defends Renek Meyer, freshman who is preparing for a shot.