Wrestling season preview

Makiya Franco, Staff Writer

Gresham High School’s wrestling team has many goals for this year’s season. The team plans to strive for greatness with their new head coach Eddie Sifuentes.

The team’s first meet took place on November 30 at Clackamas. Although GHS did not win, we did however gain a great experience. The team fought hard and went to the very last match. “I’m very proud of the team for competing (very) tough” Coach Sifuentes said.

Each wrestler has made their own goals and has an overall season goal. This includes competing hard, staying healthy, and completing classwork, as well as turning it in on time.

“I would like to see each wrestler to reach their goals that they set for themselves, and see the student body come out to support us,” Sifuentes said.

The biggest challenges for the sport are making weight, getting in the right “wrestling conditions” within a couple weeks, and staying healthy and injury-free.

Sophomore Ethan Frantz knows exactly how to stay in a routine in order to overcome these obstacles.

“I have a strict diet and I workout 1-2 times a week. I also check my weight 2 times a day. Right when I wake up and before bed,” Frantz said.

In order to excel in wrestling, Sifuentes believes the team needs to put in extra training in order to compete on the next level.

“I have great assistant coaches and alumnis that come in when they can to help,” Sifuentes said.

This year is a big year for our wrestlers, due to the majority of them being seniors. With this being their last year, our graduating gophers have a priority of putting their hearts into the mats and taking GHS to state. Senior Colby Wheeler loves the competition.

“I’ve loved every year of wrestling at GHS and I plan to make my last year the best year,” Wheeler said.  

Many are excited to see what is to come from our wrestlers this season. Take pride in who we represent as the gophers and come support the team during their meets this season.