Advantages and Disadvantages of Teen Driving

Madelyn Jones, Staff Writer

Driving is always a fun experience as you get older. Driving gives you more freedom and it allows you to feel in control.

“An advantage for me since I got my license has been being able to drive myself around, and allowing me more freedom. A disadvantage would be that it’s tiring and I don’t like parking” Sophomore Chelsy Cortes said.

When you start driving, you take on a lot of responsibilities. According to Sophomore Tyson Gradwahl, he personally thinks that the advantages weigh out the disadvantages by a long shot.

“One of the many advantages is that so much more freedom comes along with it, also you can do more of what you want to do instead of having to rely on other people for rides”.

A lot of advantages come from driving, but there is also a lot of disadvantages that come with driving as well. Examples of disadvantages would be paying for gas, paying for insurance, pollution, and you’re responsible for others around you. Most teens would agree with Gradwahl, how the advantages weigh out the disadvantages by along shot.

As summer approaches more teens will be on the road. Driving is one of the most fun things you can do when you’re a teenager. The process of getting your license is long, but it’s worth it. You can get your permit when you’re 15 years old, then you have to wait 6 months before getting your license. If you don’t know how to practice for your permit or license you can go pick up a free drivers manual book at the DMV or practice free online questions. Before you can get your license you have to take a safety test. Once you’ve passed all of those tests you’re finally ready for your drivers test, which is the most nerve racking but also most fun. If you pass every test you are now able to drive by yourself until your 6 months are up.     Drivers ed instructor RJ Connell agrees that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and encourages students to take drivers ed.

“Some advantages of drivers education are that you get to learn the rules of the road and you get to learn how to be a safe driver while getting an education and your insurance premiums will be lower” said Connell. If you’re thinking about taking drivers education, it would be a good life skill to learn and take with you once you’re officially on the road.