Sophomore turns himself into a scoring machine

Photo+by+Taneesha+Lucas%0ASophomore+Justin+Linn+controls+the+ball.+
Photo by Taneesha Lucas Sophomore Justin Linn controls the ball.
Photo by Taneesha Lucas
Sophomore Justin Linn controls the ball.

Justin Linn, varsity defender and outside midfielder on the soccer team, knows a little too well how exhausting and exciting a 90-minute match can be.

During a typical soccer game, the ball lands in the back of the net only a couple times. Some cannot fathom the love of such a sport with so much work and little outcome on the scoreboard. However, in the first preseason game, Linn topped all worries that soccer was actionless by achieving a hat-trick (scoring three goals in one game).

There was no doubt he was going to stop there. In the next few games the boys went 3-0, and Linn made sure he made an impact in all three victories.

After his hat-trick, Linn scored both goals against Century, winning that game 2-1.

Next, the team had a big third preseason game win against The Dalles, outscoring them 5-0, in which Linn scored one of those goals.

The stat sheet tells part of his story, but Linn is also getting a lot of credit from his teammates.

“Playing with Justin makes our whole team look better,” junior teammate Mikey Downey said. “His speed and other athletic abilities puts him in a league of his own.”

Being an underclassman, Linn still has room to grow. His upperclassmen teammates note that he shall continue to be a force to reckon with.

“Justin is still a young kid, he’s only a sophomore but definitely playing above his level,” junior teammate Erik Morales said. “He’s also a really hard worker.

His teammates predict that he ends up on the other teams’ scouting report.

“He is a constant threat when he is on the field. Whenever he has the ball, he can make something happen,” Downey said.

Linn’s girlfriend, sophomore Bailey Allen, is also a varsity soccer player. From her experience with the game, she has insight into what makes him a solid player on the field.

“He’s worked pretty hard to get where he is,” Allen said. “He loves the game and knows a lot about it. I think that’s what really makes him a player that stands out.”

Linn is capable of doing great work on the soccer pitch, and yet through it all, Linn credits his team, for whom he states makes him who he is.

“It feels great to be the lead scorer. It’s an honor to play for my school and help out in whatever way I can,” Linn said. “I do consider myself somewhat of a threat, but then again, I would be nothing without my team.”

As the season continues, the boys team look to keep pressing the wins.

“As a team we have the potential to do great things. It all comes down to the speed and the desire,”  Morales said. “If we get those on lock, we will be unstoppable.”

With a capable crew and a dominant scoring machine, there is no telling where the team will launch into league and then on to State.

“We’re going to be strong and proficient,” Linn said.

View Comments (1)