Homecoming assembly brings classes together

unknown
Seniors (left to right) Claire Palmiter, Kaylee Aalbers, Cole Lindhorst and David Nelson discuss making video auditions to send to “Survivor” as a part of their Homecoming skit.
Photo by Austin Dellarosa
Seniors (left to right) Claire Palmiter, Kaylee Aalbers, Cole Lindhorst and David Nelson discuss making video auditions to send to “Survivor” as a part of their homecoming skit.

The spirit assembly held on Oct. 19 started out with a harmonious version of the Star Spangled Banner and a warm welcome from senior student council members Quinn Santangelo and Becca Harris.

Santangelo and Harris immediately introduced the on-going class competition, this time for teaser skits promoting homecoming, which judged by science teacher Carol Quarles, math teacher MaLynda Wolfer, science teacher Robert Winters and principal John Koch.

The freshmen class’ homecoming theme was America’s Got Talent. Freshmen Madilyn Pearson, Hunter Johnson and Wesley Revel portrayed the roles of Sharon Osborne, Howie Mandel and Howard Stern, who are the celebrity judges on the show. Each freshman showcased their individual talent. Freshman Madisen Hallberg sang “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5, freshman Noah Adams played the drums, and freshman Aaron Green played the bass guitar.

“It may have looked like we worked on our skit for a while, but it was last minute. We had four days to prepare and only three practices,” Hallberg said.

After the freshmen performed, Santangelo and Harris announced a class game. In this game, the player had to sit on a fold-up chair and hold a can of soda in one’s hand. When it was their turn, they would shake the can of soda then open it. If the soda exploded out of the can, then they would win the game.

After a few tries from each class, Santangelo and Harris announced that there were not any winners because no one could get their soda to explode.

The sophomore class’ homecoming theme was Man vs. Wild. The sophomores previewed their wild adventure by having a competition to figure out who would be the host and survivalist guide, Bear Grylls. The cast included Alyssa Maslen, Bryce Bakke and Keely Stevens. In the end, sophomore host Victoria Blanger determined that out of the sophomore competitors Bakke won.

Photo by Austin Dellarosa             Sophomores (left to right) Alyssa Maslen, Keely Stevens and Bryce Bakke compete to be the host and survivalist guide, Bear Grylls, for their Man vs. Wild homecoming skit.

“I am Bear Grylls, so I should be Bear Grylls,” Bakke claimed.

Once the skit was over, Santangelo and Harris announced a special fairytale homecoming video that was played on the screen in the gym. The video featured five boys dressed as princesses getting ready for the homecoming dance. The homecoming court produced this comic relief.

The junior class’ homecoming theme was Dancing With The Stars. The juniors started out their skit by having “celebrity practice sessions”.  The junior stars and dance instructors Rafael Castellanos-Welsh, Kaitlyn Franklin, Billy Mangala, Angelina Macca, Dominik Riskin, Okxana Rodriguez and Andrew De La Paz practiced their goofy moves, when one star suddenly breaks her ankle. The only one that could replace her was the one and only senior Haley Crouser, played by junior Nicole Kemp. The host doubted whether or not she could dance, but Kemp assured the crowd she could.

“I am Haley Crouser; I can do anything,” Kemp said in reply.

Photo by Austin Dellarosa                  Juniors Rafael Castellanos-Welsh, Kaitlyn Franklin, Billy Mangala, Angelina Macca, Dominik Riskin, Okxana Rodriguez and Andrew De La Paz dancing during their “celebrity practice sessions.”

Next, Santangelo and Harris announced another class game. The game’s objective was to eat a piece of cake off of a plate as fast as one could with one’s hands behind their backs. This game only lasted around 30 seconds because senior Marquis Arango had eaten the cake faster than rivals junior Kendra Hammons, sophomore Makenna Moore, and freshman Kuwaiola Ahina did.

The senior class’ homecoming theme was Survivor. In their skit, seniors Claire Palmiter, Kaylee Aalbers, Cole Lindhorst and David Nelson decided to make audition tapes to compete in the television show. These tapes were aired on the screen in the gym, each showing intense levels of skill for each tribute.

After these tapes, English teachers Sarabeth Leitch and Brandi Kruse ran out onto the main floor with a dozen other teachers to introduce a new aspect of school dances. Leitch and Kruse were wearing referee outfits, and they called out the other teachers for illegal moves. Then they escorted the offenders to the penalty box and showed them how to dance appropriately during the homecoming dance.

“When they were in the penalty box, Leitch and Kruse showed them how to dance the running-man and some kind of rockstar move,” sophomore Hunter Anderson said.

Once Leitch and Kruse had finished their dance moves, Santangelo and Harris announced the final class game. The objective was to push one person inside a recycling bin to the other side of the gym, where the player could try and shoot a basket. If the person made it, one would receive a point, push their teammate back to the other side of the gym and trade places.

After many trials and errors, one where sophomore Caleb Dalzell dropped sophomore Maleko Arango while he was in the recycling bin, the crowd roared with laughter. Seniors Devauntae Hoffman and Ethan Hamilton won the last class game.

Finally, Santangelo and Harris announced that the judges had decided which class won the on-going competition of the day.

“The sophomore and juniors’ skits were entertaining, the freshmen class were wonderful musicians, but in the end, we [the judges] had to give it to the seniors for overall creativity,” Quarles said.

In the end, the speakers boomed the hit song “Gangnam Style” by Psy as all retreated to their third period classrooms.