The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

High school students coach in their free time to help younger athletes

Sports fans across the nation take on different roles, whether it be as players, referees or coaches. Several students here have taken the opportunity to coach volleyball, as a way to show their love for the sport and pass on their talents.

Seniors Meranda Taylor, Jordyn Olofson and Taylor Bauer, coach volleyball through the YMCA.

“My favorite part about coaching is seeing how happy a player who has been struggling gets when they make their first serve over the net or get a point for their team. It’s amazing to think that I helped them achieve their goal,” Bauer said.

The three girls all coach between third and sixth graders.

Taylor coaches because of family.

“I am coaching now mostly because my sister is on one of the teams. My dad and Taylor’s dad coached my YMCA team when I was their age, and I had such a fun experience. I decided to do the same for my sister,” Taylor said. “I also needed volunteer hours anyway, and helping little kids learn a sport was the best way I could do that.”

Playing at a young age was also how Bauer was introduced to the sport.

“I used to play YMCA volleyball when I was younger then onto school and club ball. I stopped playing a few years ago, but I still love the sport. I thought why not teach kids about a sport that I love,” Bauer said.

The ladies also all agreed that coaching in the future is something to look forward to.

“I think that I will continue to coach in the future because I love sharing what I have learned from my coaches with the kids I coach,” Olofson said.

Olofson is also involved in other things and finds that sometimes it is difficult to find time for everything.

“Coaching gets in the way of me being in volleyball because I have practice and tournaments at the same time I am suppose to be coaching. It’s also difficult getting everything done that I am supposed to,” Olofson said.

Taylor says that though coaching can be time consuming, it will can prepare someone better for the future.

“I think everyone should find something that they can do outside of their classes because it keeps high school exciting and prepares you for college, jobs and life outside of school,” Taylor said.

For some, sports is a way to free the mind from everything else going on.
“I think getting involved in sports is a good way to get away from everything, if it’s something you really enjoy doing,” Olofson said.

Taylor, Olofson and Bauer are all very dedicated girls to their coaching positions. Although there are times where the coaching gets in the way of other things the three agree that coaching these volleyball teams is worth it.

“My favorite part of coaching is seeing how the girls develop throughout the season. Not just their volleyball skills, but their attitude, excitement and the way they interact with each other. It all reminds me of how much fun it was for us and the friends we made while playing the sport,” Taylor said.