Girls basketball team holds their heads high after tough senior night loss

As girls varsity basketball came to its season end, it was time for their senior night and final home game against rival Barlow.

Seniors Melissa Smith, Jessie Stone, Quinn Santangelo, Pearly Walton, Sara Seid, Taya Mick, Hailee Trapold and team manager Alexis Stamp proudly walked into the gym for the last time knowing that they had to be prepared for a physical, emotional and mental game.

Amber Peschka, junior and three year varsity player, has been with playing with most of these girls for a few years and thinks that all of them benefit their team.

“They all have certain qualities that contribute to the team. They make things more enjoyable,” Peschka said.

The girls played hard and ended with a 22-27 loss to the Bruins. Walton had the high score of the night with eight points. Though they lost, the girls looked to their next game opportunity.

“I think the outcome wasn’t what we expected it to be, but the outcome of last night’s game doesn’t affect our playoff ability,” Smith said.

Santangelo has also been playing with most of these girls for a few years, but with some even longer.

“This year we had a group of seniors who had been playing together for four years, but most of us have played together since elementary school. We aren’t just teammates, we are friends and I think that is what made us a family this year. We showed the younger girls what it’s like to love your team,” Santangelo said.

These girls have learned to care about each other on and off the court.

“We all care about each other and want each other to succeed in basketball and out of,” Smith said.

This team has been through good games and bad, but the girls are going to miss their experience.

“I’ll miss all the little things the most. All of our team bonding, half court shots at practice, joking around with our coaches, ” Santangelo said. “We had a lot of fun this year, and that’s what I’ll miss the most outside of actually playing basketball.”

The girls have had a good experience playing here and have memories and lessons they will take with them wherever they go after high school.

“The number one thing I will take away would have to be respect.  We had a few tough games, tough seasons and tough practices.  We always respected each other and were there for one another. I think that is the best quality a team can have,” Santangelo said.

The girls have all learned things from their coaches, teammates and time playing here.

“You’re not gonna win every game, but you have to find a reason to enjoy playing,” Smith said.