Gopher exchange closet coming soon

Preview to future eXchange closet.
Preview to future eXchange closet.

Coming soon, in Room 108, the SUN Leadership Club is opening a secondhand store here for any students who would either like to donate gently used clothing or exchange it. The club hopes to have a grand opening before the end of the school year or by the beginning of next year.

The idea of opening this store came up in August, their community garden also in progress they decided to wait and plan it for later on in the year.

In December, Casey Block, former SUN AmeriCorps leader, realized that students might need clothes in the winter time since it would be colder outside.

The club was hoping to have their opening then, but with so many other activities going on, it could not be accomplished.

According to Block, anybody is welcome and they are always accepting donations that are directed for students. They hope to help those that need it and those who might not be able to afford clothing and accessories.

“The reason I donated was because I see so many students who move around a lot or who don’t have basic needs met at home and I love exchanging clothes already with my sisters and friends,” social worker Kate Allen said. “I felt like I had enough to go around, and this was a great use of a place to give it to.”

Donations also came from counselor Susan Fields, security officer Kathy Kowaleski, teacher Sarabeth Leitch and Adidas.

Also, they are open to anybody who is just wanting to exchange their clothes.

“Students who don’t need some of their clothes can come and donate it,” senior and club member Mia Smith said.

With high goals, the club realized they had a lot to do in order to get this project started: cleaning the room out, organizing their inventory and finding a way to promote their new store.

The club, being a total of about five members, quickly became aware that this would be a big task for them to accomplish and hoped that more people would join.

During second semester, a change of the AmeriCorps leader set plans back a little, since the transition was a bit difficult for both the new leader and SUN students to adjust to. The program is now progressing as it was before.

According to the new SUN AmeriCorps leader Hannah Bushner, she would like the group to be bigger, if somebody wants to join and help they just have to fill out a registration form.

“[Our club] is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 – 4:30. People can still join,” Smith said.

According to SUN program assistant Rosa Sanchez, their first step is to clean out the room. In December the club started cleaning out the room after school making it look nice so that they could start bringing in merchandise.

Just like former AmeriCorps leader, Bushner hopes to promote well and that students can see this as a positive environment and secondhand store. It can be an important resource for students.

“[Our goal] is to create an uplifting environment,” senior and club member Elizabeth Bablicz said. “We really hope it’s successful.”

According to Smith, currently they are working on stamp cards where if a student needs something they can go to the SUN office and on the card have it written what it is they need, such as shoes, a jacket or a bag. From the SUN office students would go across the hall to the eXchange store and be able to pick out what they need.

“It’s getting pretty close to being completely organized. Next step is to document everything we have just so we have an understanding, basically like creating an inventory,” Bushner said.

Although an exact date has not been set, they are hoping to have a grand opening right before the 2014 school year begins as a back-to-school grand opening. Until then, donations will be accepted in the SUN office.