Senior boys get into the spirit of Super Fan

Super FansWalking up to the Super Fan section at a football game, one can always pick seniors Ryan Olsen, Billy Manggala and Grady Walker out of the crowd. They are all front and center in the Super Fan section, dressed up in blue and white and cheering along with the cheerleaders. At times they are even leading some of the cheers themselves.

These three senior boys have gotten even more involved in Super Fanning since their last year as Gophers. In the stands they cheer positive things out to the players no matter what is happening in the game, and they are there for the teams.  Coming out to games dressed in Gopher colored outfits and yelling lots of cheers is all a part of the Super Fan lifestyle.

Manggala has came to games dressed in a cheerleaders outfit leading cheers in the Super Fan crowd.

“I dress up in a cheerleader outfit, but I don’t care because it is a lot of fun,” Manggala said.

Walker consistently goes to games regardless of where they are at, and he is very often dressed in lots of blue and white.

“I enjoy attending our sporting events and supporting all of our players,” Walker said. “It’s an exciting and fun way to support the school.”

Olsen is always very supportive of whatever team he is cheering for, and other fans can hear him calling out “Good job!” to specific players.

Standing in the Super Fan section, dressing in Gopher colors and cheering are all parts of Super Fanning.  These boys are examples of Super Fans who come to a lot of the games, cheer for the teams and in general support our athletics.

“The main reason why Grady and I like to Super Fan [is that] we like to be role models so underclassmen enjoy Super Fanning just as much as us,” Olsen said. “It’s so much fun being at the game and enjoying it, like I’ve learned so much about football and everything.”

When they are in the stands cheering things like “We Are Gresham,” other people in the Super Fan section also get more motivated to cheer along with them and everyone else.

Any help the teams can get mentally from the audience is always good for them going into a big game. Super Fanning is especially important to the players, and both Walker and Olsen have seen it from both sides: a player and a fan.

“As an athlete, having Super Fans there is one of the coolest things, like hearing people screaming my name,” Olsen said. “It encourages me to do a lot better in sports and try harder to get better every single day.”

Junior Sam Reed plays soccer, basketball and softball.  She also agrees that Super Fanning helps the athletes on the field and knows it helps her.

“Honestly it makes me feel so much more intense and makes the pace of the game feel so much faster,” Reed said. “Super Fans are great and we love the support.”

Reed plays soccer and has seen Walker and Olsen before at her own games.

“I’ve seen Ryan and Grady at a few games, and you always notice them because they tend to be loud and supportive.  And Ryan always goes all out with his outfits,” Reed said.

After fall season ends along with many popular sports, Olsen still keeps cheering.

“After the fall sports are done, I head straight on over to winter sports season, like basketball, wrestling, swimming, everything.  And after that even the choir concerts and dance performances because they deserve Super Fans too,” Olsen said. “They’re working hard, I’m going to go there and support them just as much as I support the football team.”

In the winter, even though Walker plays basketball, he tries to find a time that he can Super Fan for other winter sports.

“I Super Fan for the girls basketball games when I don’t have one myself,” Walker said.

The things that Super Fans do can help the athletes feel good.  Reed says the things they do when they are out there make our teams want to play better and improve.

“Some really great things that they do are dress crazy, be super loud, bringing signs and such.  Just little things that would make anyone smile,” Reed said.

As good Super Fans, they know what it takes to become a good Super Fan. Walker says part of Super Fanning is just being there at the games no matter where they are at.

Being as good as they are, they also know what it takes for someone else to become a good Super Fan.  Part of it is being there for the games and cheering on your team whether they are winning or losing.

“It just takes a lot of coming out of your shell and not caring, or taking a chance,” Manggala said.

When it comes to people cheering for the school, the more the better. There are a lot of reasons to go out and Super Fan whether its to be around the sport or be around the people.

“I’ve made a lot of friends doing it, and it’s a good way to show that you have school spirit,” Manggala said. “It’s hard to do in front of a t.v. screen, it’s much better when its right in front of you in action.”