Part III: Students reside with feelings of positivity, loss over watching teachers go

Many shocked students roamed the halls during the last few weeks of school, whispering rumors about which teachers were leaving and which were staying. Although the students were not given a list of who is leaving and why, their thoughts are still hopeful for the new changes that are happening all around them.

Junior Savannah Dalby was a student in former English teacher Chris Smith’s sophomore class. For her, watching Smith go is like watching him leave all of the students and staff here.

“I’ll miss his relaxed nature, helpful demeanor, his fun [teaching style] and his reading voice that made A Tale Of Two Cities easier to understand during class. We are losing an amazing teacher, an IB Coordinator and a wonderful person,” Dalby said.

While Smith is not the only one leaving shoes to fill, the students perspective provides the world with the idea that perhaps, these empty shoes can offer opportunity.

“New teachers will give a new approach of teaching if they choose new teachers. Hopefully this change will be a positive effect versus a negative one,” junior Téa Mcvicker said.

For senior Brett Parsons, new teachers can have a downfall due to the difference in teaching abilities, but they may also prove to better the school’s economy.

“These new teachers may lack teaching experience, [so] that will be a significant issue. We can also consider that the school will be saving money by hiring inexperienced teachers, though. We can spend this extra cash on provisions for the school,” Parsons said.

According to Parsons, things like cracked ceiling tiles and eerily peeling paint on the walls are only some of the things that could be fixed with a spare wad of cash.

Although helping the building get back on its feet might be better for students like Parsons, the teachers leaving here are a part of making the school a better place for Dalby. According to her, seeing Smith leave makes it difficult to see how a different teacher could replace him, but she keeps her mind open as she heads into her junior year.

“I have no idea whether or not we’ll get a better teacher in [Smith’s] place and I think we probably won’t. We have the opportunity to get a better teacher, even though it may or may not happen. At least this way, we can hope,” Dalby said.