The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gopher Sports Update

Three weeks into January and the Gopher athletic program are in midseason form. 2016 is a new opportunity for programs in the school to reach the top of the Mt. Hood Conference.

Boys Basketball:  started the season by winning three of their first five games of the season, two of them by dominant fashion. However, the gophers have experienced an eight game losing skid, the most recent coming from rival Barlow High School.

“Every practice and every game we are looking to improve,” head coach Mike Melton said.

The Gophers have adapted to the type of game they need to play and are looking to take down teams during the second half of league play.

Gresham head coach, Mike Melton giving the Gopher boys a defensive strategy.

Girls Basketball: has a four and nine record in the 2015-2016 campaign so far. When the Lady Gophers have lost, they have been held to under 40 points every game.

“I’ve been proud of how our kids have improved this season, I think we have really developed some toughness in the past couple of months.” said assistant coach Ty Gonrowski.

Head coach Todd Negal discussing defense during a weekday practice
Head coach Todd Negal discussing defense during a weekday practice.

Wrestling: the wrestling team has struggled with the turnout they had this year. Due to lack of numbers, the gophers will lose every dual meet they have this year. There are still positive points though. “I am really impressed with the improvement with the individuals that came out,” head wrestling coach Zac Enoch said. However, with the exception of David Douglas, the gophers have won as many or more of the individual matches versus every team.

Freshman Joel Henderson pinning a teammate during practice.

Swim Team: the swim team has started off on a high note this year. “Our boys center back has been very good,” according to head swim coach Sean Taylor. Freshman like Ryan Birch and Chelsy Cortes-Martinez have also put up impressive times in their rookie seasons.