Abby’s Closet Prom Dress Giveaway

Prom is just around the corner on Saturday April 9, many students are already making plans and preparing for the big night. Abby’s closet, is a non-profit organization whose main goal is to “Inspire confidence and respect in high school women by providing free formal gowns for prom and other memorable events,” is having their 12th annual Prom Gown Giveaway on April 2-3, 2016 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland.

All high school women are invited to attend and select a free prom gown. The dates for this event are Saturday, April 2, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, April 3, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The only requirement is that students show a high school ID card. As young women arrive, they are given a numbered ticket and told the approximate time they will be able to enter the salon.

As they are waiting in line, raffles are held periodically and the winners are given prizes (ex. gift certificates, small gifts, etc.). Once the young women enter the salon, there are plenty of adult volunteers to help them find the perfect gown. The donated gowns are grouped in “salons” by size and color. Last year, there were over 7,000 gowns to choose from. After a gown is selected, guests are able to select an accessory item (ex. purse, wrap, jewelry) and are given some small personal items that have been donated (ex. perfume and makeup samples). Anyone who may not be able to afford a prom dress or needs some help finding their look may be able to find a solution through the Abby’s closet foundation.