A Walk to Remember

GHS Graduation 2016The newest class of Gresham High School graduates will be taking the stage on Tuesday, June 14th, 2016 at 5pm. The ceremony will be held in the Memorial Coliseum  by the Moda Center.

This year, Gresham will be graduating about 94% of the current seniors enrolled. Graduation rates fluctuate greatly in the state of Oregon because of cohort models. All of the students that start at the school are considered to be in Gresham’s cohort. However, if they move and attend a different school for a certain amount of time they become apart of another cohort without staff even knowing.

The high percentage of graduates is attributed to their work ethic principle John Cook believes. “The class of 2016 was a very strong group that had a certain spark and motivation to them.” said Cook.

There will be 10 valedictorians, 4 salutatorians and 17 full IB Diploma candidates attending the graduation. Sara Dempsey will be the speaker of the staff. The student speakers will be ASB President Chloe Melton and Emma Triplett, Senior Class president.

For seniors like Chloe Melton, the high school experience has truly been some of the happiest and stressful years of life. “From the time I stepped foot in Gresham High School, I made memories that will last a lifetime. I am ecstatic to see all the success that the class of 2016 will have, it will be incredible.” Said Melton.

For graduates, this has been a long time in the making. After countless tests and hours of school work, their twelve years of required schooling is over. For some, this is the end of their education. For others, the next step in life is college.

“To be honest, I don’t know what to expect after graduation. As I walk off that stage, my life really does start. That is terrifying.” Said senior Trevor Nannini.

Graduating seniors are required to show up at 4:15 on Tuesday. Commencement for the class of 2016 starts shortly after that.