Student teachers are beneficial to child development at daycare

Angelica Smith

Student interacting with preschoolers during their daily activities.

Angelica Smith, Staff writer

Did you know that brain development evolves at its fastest beginning the day you are born up until the age of three? Over time, child education has become the most important aspect of development in regards to how the brain matures. Learning basic fine-motor skills, gross motor skills and the concept behind cognitive development is critical for the pre-pubescent.

High schoolers that attend the Child Care and Development class are required to learn the fundamentals of how a child’s brain works, and the necessities needed to improve their basic skills.

“It’s a great opportunity for both the students and children,” counselor Laura Blaser said.

The children are greatly impacted by the high school students. The students affect the way the children communicate with others and deal with daily situations. The high school students often act as role models for the young children.

“Not only are they improving their cognitive development, but they are improving their social skills,” Gresham High School Child Care Director Julianne Standish said.

This program is equally beneficial for both parties involved. The students are gaining experience with young children and being provided with many opportunities career-wise, like working with children in education, or as a nanny or babysitter. As for the children, they are given the ability to engage with peers and adults, which tends to improve social skills that will be needed later on in their lives as they continue their educational advancement. They work on sensory skills that help to improve senses, learning skills with contains puzzles, and creative projects which are designed to improve motor skills. They also explore the concept of  environmental science, and finally painting which provides the children with the ability to discover themselves and the limits to their imagination.  

“I think that it has a very positive effect on my child. My daughter has learned to recognize letters and numbers, how to count more accurately, how to color within the lines, and how to navigate social situations and problem solve,” Spanish teacher Brian Malan said.

Every child learns at their own pace and achieve physical, mental/emotional, and social development concepts at different periods of time, but eventually these goals will be met and will be expected to improve annually.

“Previous children who attended our preschool are now succeeding in kindergarten, which lets us know that we are doing our jobs right,” Standish said.