Girls varsity soccer goes to State

Photo Taken byTaneesha LucasGirls varsity soccer against David Douglas. In photo: Bailey Allen (Sophomore) <--- Check name spelling
Sophomore Bailey Allen goes against David Douglas Photo.Taken by Taneesha Lucas

Girls soccer has had a very promising season. With two wins against the Barlow Bruins and one against Central Catholic, second place in the conference did not come as a surprise. The girls will be facing South Eugene at State on Saturday, Nov. 3.

However, the team did not get to State by chance, rather it was a combination of teamwork and dedication that got them to where they are now.
“We are a team, and we get along great, and you have to become a team in order to play well,” junior Amber Peschka said.

The dynamic of the team is something that has gotten them a long ways. According to head coach Kathy Childress, all of the girls get along pretty well and support each other one hundred percent on the field.

For junior Staci Tatum, one big accomplishment was the win against Central Catholic 2-1. With only five minutes left, Tatum got a free shot and scored.

“The ball went to the far post, it hit the post and went in for the win,” Tatum said. “It was crazy, but overall we, as a team, played well during that game.”

This year the girls got second place in the Mt. Hood conference. Now the girls are faced with an even bigger task: State.

“We focus more on doing well in our league than the higher level,” Childress said. “It is more exciting.”

One thing that helped the girls get to State was taking lessons from practice and applying them in games. According to Childress, a bad practice equals a bad game and being able to communicate is key for a successful game.

Like any other sport, having a positive mind set is crucial. One weakness the girls had this season was getting anxious before games. If they were playing against a ‘better’ team, they would get psyched out, according to Childress.

They overcame this by listening to Childress coach and supporting each other.

“It always feels good to go to State,” Tatum said. “But the thing is, now we are here, so the next step is getting as far as we can.”

According to Peschka, the girls need to keep their work rate up. Peschka claims that being able to go straight into playoffs is a huge accomplishment that boosts the team’s confidence and helps them play better.

Still, they stay focused.

“You can’t underestimate your opponent,” Tatum said. “In soccer, anything can happen.”