Actors in Brigadoon perform believable romances onstage

Photo Taken by: Austin Dellarosa 

In Picture: (center) Cajsa Strommer (12th); Austin Joseph (12th)
Photo Taken by: Austin Dellarosa In Picture: (center) Cajsa Strommer (12th); Austin Joseph (12th)
……

Photo by Austin Dellarosa

In the play Brigadoon, actors in the lead roles of the enchanting musical had to portray deep romances and succeeded in doing so. The two lead roles that were in love with each other, Tommy, played by senior Austin Joseph, and Fiona, played by senior Cajsa Strommer, each had a significant other that was also in the musical.

According to Strommer, the casting of the roles was not much of a surprise to the actors involved. They were more or less expected to have these roles.

Tommy and Jeff, played by senior Forrest Davis, discovered that they had stumbled across an enchanting village full of very strange people and accents. When Tommy fell in love with the charming Fiona, the lead knew that she needed to reveal the truth about the mysterious village of Brigadoon, a truth that would make or break their love.

Their romance was deep, and there were a few kissing scenes as well, but the actors were very mature about it and had no difficulty acting out being in love with someone else while their boyfriend or girlfriend was onstage as well.

“Basically, it’s only awkward if you make it awkward,” Strommer said.

According to Joseph, portraying a romance on stage is not difficult, but it is something that takes time and work just like a real relationship.

Rehearsal also helped the actors and actresses to feel comfortable in their roles and each other.

“Repetition allows an actor to learn new things, and I believe rehearsal certainly does that,” Joseph said.

According to these actors, learning how to act a romance onstage is not something that is taught in drama classes at any level. It is something you learn when you are cast for a role that involves a romance.

“It’s just a natural skill and maturity, not something you learn,” Davis said.

To others, it is not something that even needs to be thought or worried about.

“Typically you don’t have to deal with that [the situation of paired up couples],” junior Arianne Melton, who played the role of Meg Brockie, who was a very flirtatious woman who tried to seduce Jeff said. “You don’t even think about it, it’s a maturity thing. You’re just learning the character.”

Taking part in the production gave a feeling of accomplishment for all.

“It was a great feeling to know that the community enjoyed the product we put on stage!” Joseph said.

The actors and actresses, Joseph, Strommer, Melton and Davis were and still are friends outside of the musical, as the romances they played on stage did not affect their real life ones adversely.

“For myself and the people I have worked with, we have all been very comfortable with it,” Joseph said.

Melton explains why there is no reason to be uncomfortable about the situation.

“We all trust each other and are a family,” Melton said. “It was not Austin and Cajsa kissing, it was Tommy and Fiona kissing.”