The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Portland’s first-ever aquarium opens to public

A3
Two rays swim in the large shark and ray touch tank.

Photo by Hannah Kim 

People residing in the Portland metro-area no longer have to travel all the way to Oregon Coast to visit sea-life. The new Portland Aquarium recently opened to the public on Dec. 15.

According to employee and marine biologist Markus Tollefson, the aquarium averaged over 2000 people a day during winter break when it first opened, and still continues to average over 2000 on weekends.

Many have anticipated and visited Portland’s first-ever aquarium since its grand opening. Though the building itself is fairly small, as it was formerly a Black Angus Steakhouse restaurant, the aquarium features a small gift shop, touch tanks, kiddie jungle room and exhibits that include fish, starfish, anemones, birds, lizards, octopi and a tortoise. The aquarium will also hold puffins and river otters this spring.

A5
Visitors wait in line outside of the aquarium on a busy Saturday.

Photo by Hannah Kim

According to Tollefson, the aquarium’s mission is to instill a love of the ocean in the younger generations.

“Though the aquarium was designed for young children, our aquarium is for all ages. Young kids at age two and older grandpas and grandmas even at age 90 enjoy the aquarium alike,” Tollefson said.

This range also includes high schoolers. According to senior Quinn Santangelo, the aquarium is up and coming, as it may need some work but will probably develop over time. As far as from what she has experienced, she rates the aquarium as average, but notes that the aquarium is very colorful and that it sets a fun environment to learn more about sea-life.

“My favorite part was the interactive shark and stingray tank. You can get up close and personal with the sea-life,” Santangelo said. “I really like that the staff is so knowledgeable about all of the animals and are very friendly.”

A4
A big Moray Eel lies in a decorative tank.

Photo by Hannah Kim

Brandon Lowder, a senior at Barlow High School, also had a similar experience as Santangelo.

According to Lowder, no matter how old one may be, it is enjoyable to see the sea life.

“I thought it was nice. They had a couple things that weren’t on display until spring, so I think it’ll be even nicer then,” Lowder said. “I think it’s cool that you can feed and touch most of the fish. They have cool and unique fish–some I had never seen before.”

A special feature of the Portland Aquarium are the touch tanks. Visitors can reach in the tanks to feed and touch the animals themselves. Additionally, people can feed the birds.

“Most of our tanks, you can reach in and feed the animals yourselves,” Tollefson said. “You can also feed the lorikeets in the jungle gym that is built around the reptile exhibits.”

A2
Visitors touch and feed the rays and sharks.

Photo by Hannah Kim 

The aquarium not only gives a hands-on experience for visitors, it also offers opportunities for visitors to learn more about sea-life. The walls of the aquarium are full of screens with information, and the screens are constantly updated. The aquarium also offers informative field trips.

“We are always really busy,” Tollefson said. “We also offer programs such as ‘Sleep with the Sharks’, which is an overnight, behind the scenes tour. We also have special programs that we offer over the holidays.”

The many intriguing exhibits, colorful sea-life, hands-on touch tanks and informative programs all make the new Portland Aquarium a worthwhile attraction to go visit.

”I think it’s a fun date idea, or fun to go with your friends and just be kids again,” Santangelo said.

Though it is quite a drive, as the aquarium is located in Milwaukie, it is a fun and unique attraction that many have enjoyed already.

“Our aquarium provides an educational experience. It’s unique, and we’re located right near home. So you can come in and just have a fun day,” Tollefson said.