The Argus

The Student News Site of Gresham High School

The Argus

The Argus

Polls

What is the best way to eliminate vaping in the restrooms?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Swimming looks to do well in the challenges ahead

Both the girls and boys swimming teams look to prepare themselves for future obstacles.

Districts for swimming are during the first weekend in February and State will take place the following weekend.

“I believe the girls this year will do very well in districts. We’ve been doing great this year,” senior Shelby Strand said.
The boys team also has high hopes for districts despite the strong seniors they lost last year.

“We are a little light in the lineup right now as we lost many strong seniors this last year,” senior Ryan Jacobs said. “A reasonable goal for our team could be to be in the top three teams in the district and send all of our relays to state. Ultimately this is a building year, as we have many strong freshman who are showing dedication and drive so the following years will get better and better.”

According to Dalton Boyles, he predicts that his team will finish fourth in districts.

Though the team is important, individual players are the ones sent off to State.

Last year, Jacobs on his own did well and looks to continue something even greater this year.

“Last year I had a chance to win districts. I was swimming very well in the final weeks of the season and closing in on the school record board. Then I had a traumatic incident with my arm that landed me in the hospital for six days and I almost died. This year I am looking for redemption. I want to have the success this year that I should have had last year. My goal is to get my time up on the record board and medal at districts,” Jacobs said.

On the girls side, Strand also plans to make her last mark as well.

“In districts, I’m hoping to be able to make finals for the chance of receiving a high place. Districts means so much to me because it marks the end of my swimming career. There’s no better way, in my opinion. Districts brings everyone together, and it showcases how hard everyone has worked through the season,” Strand said.

Strand demonstrate that it is the team that pushes everyone. Another swimmer, senior Danika Hazard from the girls’ team agrees that their team this year is something different than the past.

“This year our team has bonded a lot. We’re like a big family, and that makes it really fun to go to practice and be around the team. Being a senior, it’s really cool to look at the younger swimmers and see them improve. I can tell that a lot of them will become great swimmers in the next couple years,” Hazard said.

Jacobs anticipates that the boys swimming team will do well in the following years.

“There is promise for the future years success, lots of kids are working hard to get better. We are going to be a great team with a lot of depth,” Jacobs said.

As the team surges towards districts with the leadership from the seniors and dedication from the younger classes, both teams look to push themselves and do well for the Gophs.