Swim Season Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim Season Preview

Swim team practicing

Swim team practicing

Kendyl Beam

Swim team practicing

Kendyl Beam

Kendyl Beam

Swim team practicing

Kendyl Beam, Staff Writer

As the 2017-2018 swimming season gets under way, it is time to look at what is to come for the swimmers and what to expect out of this season.

Many of the swimmers on this year’s team are on the swim team to use swimming as an off-season workout for water polo. With a new workout routine made by the coach Taylor designed to increase speed, members look to cut time off of their personal records.

The routine includes less breaks and a faster pace in order to get the swimmers used to the endurance it takes to compete at meets.

The first meet of the season was against school rival Sam Barlow High School. This meet gave swimmers a chance to get the feel for the rest of the meets, along with the desire to beat their rival. The meet however did not meet the team’s expectations, Barlow out swam Gresham and won the meet overall.

“Barlow was really good. We didn’t swim how we wanted, but it was still a good learning experience for new members. It shows them what an important meet looks like,” junior Caitlyn Peetz said.  With multiple meets coming up in the schedule, the team looks forward to having their first ever meet at Hood River. Because Gresham has never met with Hood River for swimming, this creates a different scenario for the athletes to compete in and they get a chance to see something new in the season compared to previous seasons. Most swimmers have never swam against Hood River or have ever been to a meet there.

The swim team has many new members this year, which gives the team a chance to teach new people and to carry on the legacy in later years.

“This is my first season doing swimming. I really like it so far because it acts as conditioning for the water polo season, the two go hand in hand,” junior Adam Schepp said.

The common goal for this year is to improve together as a team and focus on working hard. With such an intense practice schedule, practicing everyday for 2 hours and the occasional Wednesday morning practice,members have a lot of time to bond and work together on improving.

“This year, we really look to improve and we work very hard to become better as a team and as individual swimmers, we can hope to become better in all aspects” Peetz said.

New and returning members are optimistic for the rest of the season and look forward to becoming better swimmers and teammates throughout the season.