From Raising an Octave to Raising Money

Amellia Wells

Choir students practicing during class

Katie Cruz, Staff Writer

In October, for their 2018 New York trip, choir students have been fundraising by selling chocolate bars to students, teachers, and neighbors. While a specific percentage of each box sold went to each student’s fund for the trip so they can sing at state, the rest of the money goes to the choir fund for other expenses.

The company that provided the chocolate bars was Old Fashioned Candy Company. Students could request how many boxes of chocolate they wanted and each box comes with 64 bars. The flavors that come in each box are: caramel, crispy, peanut butter, almond, and milk chocolate. Students have to sell each bar or else you have to pay for every bar you were not able to sell.

“I like selling the chocolate bars because it helps me contribute to my fund for the New York trip and [I can] purchase T- shirts from choir,” junior Miranda Jackson said.

Not all students enjoy selling the chocolate bars. This could have made it a bit more difficult to save up money for the New York trip, because there may have been a lack of motivation in selling chocolate.

“I felt pressured in selling all of the bars because knowing I was obligated to sell all of them was quite stressful,” junior Joy Jimenez said.

Although it might have helped a lot of students with their ability to go to New York, there were a few students that had trouble selling their chocolate bars because some students had already bought chocolate from other choir members and this made it a lot harder for students to sell all 64 chocolate bars.

The fundraising overall contributed to students by helping them pay for their trip to New York,now they have to wait until spring break to see the rewards of their hard work.