Homecoming 2018: American Road Trip

Katie Cruz, Staff Writer, Publicity Manager

Homecoming recently concluded with a big win by the Varsity football team.  Homecoming week began with the pep rally in the gym and the week of the 8th-10th was spirit week. This year, Monday was beach out, Tuesday was twin day, and Wednesday was class colors day. The designated freshman color was gray, sophomore’s color was blue, junior’s color was black, and seniors were to wear white.

The homecoming dance was held on October 11th in the main gym. The varsity football team at the homecoming dance scored 47-24. The theme for homecoming week was American Road Trip. The theme for each class was national monuments for freshmen, sophomores theme was east coast, for juniors it was national parks, and lastly, for seniors, it was the west coast.

Spirit week is a week for all students to show their spirit and school pride before the big Homecoming Day.

“By participating in spirit week I hoped to spread school spirit and to show people that it’s cool, goofy, and fun participating in spirit week. Also, to help hype up the homecoming game and dance,” senior class president Kate Olvera said.

Spirit week is very memorable for the leadership council. It brings all of the students together and spreads excitement throughout the school.

Our ASB president was excited to have spirit week again this year because it was such a success last year.

“Spirit week has really been a source of excitement for me each year. It is an easy way to get involved and to represent your spirit without having to cheer at a game. It’s simple, fun, and really convenient so there aren’t many excuses to not do it,” ASB president, Senior Evan Olson said. “The best part of spirit week is seeing all your friends dressed up in goofy outfits, just like you. Walking down the halls filled with people dressed in the theme is an amazing feeling.”  

Although most students had a blast during spirit week, some students didn’t know about the week due to the announcement and advertising issues.

“I have CAL in the morning and we never get any announcements or news about what’s going on in school. Since I’m at CAL I never hear about anything so I never ask about what’s going because I don’t know what’s going on,” Senior Seraleena Vang said, “It’d be nice if the school could communicate to those in CAL in the morning because a lot of us don’t know what events are happening in school.”