Jobs in high school offer opportunities for life long learning

Soleil Williams

If you’re thinking about getting a job, here are some things you might consider:  

1. You should always keep an open mind. You might not get a call back right away and this doesn’t necessarily mean you did not get the job, so don’t lose hope. 
  2. Apply for more than one job. This gives you more of an opportunity to find something that fits with your interests. 
  3. Be sure to follow up. If a few weeks go by and you haven’t heard back calling or even going in makes it look like you’re actually interested in the job. 

Many students start to think about getting a job while in high school.  But students often struggle with how to manage their time between school and work. Thinking about this balance can be overwhelming and trying to find places that will hire a teenager can also be stressful.

Getting a job in high school comes with many benefits. You learn skills that will be useful as you get older, such as how to save money, how to spend wisely, and how to manage your time. Having a job in high school also allows you to build your resume. When it’s time for you to apply for future jobs being able to include some work experience will make you a more favorable candidate.

When you first get a job it can be a lot, it can cause distractions from school and extracurricular activities. But, it won’t always be hard.  Most learn how to manage their time and it can help to talk to your manager about making a schedule that works for you. Setting goals, prioritizing, and planning are some things you can do to help manage your time. 

Junior Alex S. works a part-time job for a landscaping business. He works on the weekends and when there are school breaks. He got a job because he wanted to earn money.

“It’s hard for me to maintain school and work at the same time, but I have bills to pay,” Alex said.            

According to TeenLife Blog teens feel empowered when they get their first job, they experience a sense of accomplishment and personal achievement. Also, teens who earn their own money have more of an appreciation of its value. 

Estela Cecilio, a junior at REY academy, has been working at Target for about 5 months. “Being independent made me want to get a job and I also feel like I’ve been more responsible since [getting the job],” Cecilio said. 

Cecilio said she sometimes struggles with having time for homework when she works after school and gets off late but she likes being able to have her own money.  Cecilio has a system for saving her money: if she makes $385 she’ll put the $300 in her savings, and spend the $85 for the week. 

Learning how to save your money in high school is important. At this point in life taking control and learning how to be responsible is mandatory. Student-workers can save their money by avoiding impulse buying and making a savings plan. 

Getting a job will prepare you for life beyond school and help you learn a lot of things you don’t necessarily learn in school.

Allison Leepin, psychology and government teacher, got her first job when she was 15 at a restaurant named Underwood Bistro.

“It taught me responsibility, money management, and how to work with people of all ages.” Leepin also says it helped her develop work ethic and taught her how to get the job done responsibly. 

A job in high school can be valuable, but can also be overwhelming if not handled correctly.  Finding the right schedule and balance is key to making sure your job is a fulfilling experience, not an added stressor in life.