From Summer to Fall: The Leaves Perspective

Simon Scannel, Staff Writer

Autumn brings many changes: school starting, less free time, a change in weather, seasonal drinks, and of course, it’s when the leaves change colors. Leaves change to all different colors such as yellow, red, orange, and purple.

“[Bright orange] is the least boring. It looks nice. It’s very vibrant.” said freshman Devin Mann.

According to the College of Environmental Science and Forestry, the changes in color n fall leaves is caused by the breakdown of chlorophyll, the chemical that makes the leaves green.  This reveals the yellow and orange colors everyone loves.

“I really like the color red…because leaves start out as green, and when they turn red it’s a massive difference,” said junior Gabriel Brooks.

According to PBS’s Digital Managing Editor Jenny Marder leaves turn red because, “other chemical changes may also occur, which form additional colors through the development of red anthocyanin pigments.”

Of course, there are other colors present in fall, and some leaves don’t even change color, or even fall off of trees, but that’s a story for another time.

Some cool places that you can see these different colored leaves are Main City Park, SE Roberts Avenue, and the Springwater Corridor.