Veronica Roth to visit Gresham High School

On Feb. 29, New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth will be visiting Gresham High School for a special event.

The event is scheduled to be about 45 minutes long during the school day. Roth will be discussing her successful Divergent series and the process behind her writing and turning them into movies.

“The last fifteen minutes of the 45 minutes will be a question and answer where people from the audience can actually ask questions of Ms. Roth,” Librarian Neil Wong said.

Promotion for Veronica Roth’s visit

Teachers will be able to take their classes down to library to sit in on the discussion. Wong is working to create a field trip styled form for the event so that students can get excused.

“We don’t want it to be like you have to beg and plead with your teacher at the moment,” Wong said. “You’ll be able to do this a little bit ahead of time and get pre-excused essentially, then come to the event.”

The process behind getting Roth to visit our school is in partnership with the Clackamas Barnes and Noble. 

“We do buy books from them so their representative talked to me about the opportunity potentially out there to bring Veronica Roth out to some schools in East County,” Wong said. “I said yes, sign us up. It was actually a pretty easy process.”

Gresham, along with Barlow and Reynolds are the three schools that will get this unique opportunity to join in on the discussion with Roth.